A potential side effect of The Scandal:
1. Sales of Penn State apparel might be down, but there are still millions of Penn State fans out there, and most of them own T-shirts, game shirts, hoodies, et cetera.
2. A significant number of Penn State fans will be inspired to ditch some of their apparel. Some will go in the trash, but much of it will be donated to charity.
3. When Americans donate clothes to charity, much of it makes its way to Africa.
4. If all of that is true, there will soon be a significant uptick in the number of PENN STATE and HAPPY VALLEY items being shipped to Africa.
5. Assuming that many of the recipients of these clothes might be unfamiliar with American institutions of higher learning — and the Sandusky scandal is probably not in the news in their countries — then the brand "Penn State" will have increased visibility (benignly) in the eyes of Africans.
6. If increased visibility = higher status, then it is highly possible that Penn State will see an increase in interest from African citizens in the coming years.